Sunday, October 12, 2008

General Body Fat Percentage Categories

When Jayson got his body fat percentage done, he was given a sheet that had a range of body fat percentages and what is healthy and normal. I thought I'd post this and share for everyone - my way of contributing to the "Arrington Healthy Living Challenge"!! - megan

At Risk: Women = Below 10% Men = Below 3%
Essential Fat: Women = 10-12% Men = 3-5%
Athletes: Women = 21-24% Men = 14-17%
Acceptable: Women = 25-31% Men = 18-25%
Potential Health Risk: Women = 32% and higher Men = 25% and higher

Essential fat is considered the lowest percentage of fat that is necessary for normal daily functioning. Dropping below the essential fat level has been associated with adverse health conditions. There are also risks associated with too much body fat. Some of these include increase risk of heart disease, diabetes and other diseases, increased sedentary lifestyle, and decreased mobility.

I'm also a big fan of Dr. Oz and his emphasis is waist size. He says to measure the waist at the point of your belly button and also measure the same way each time you measure. For optimum health, the ideal waist size for women is 32.5 inches and the dangers to your health increase once you hit 37 inches. (this excludes pregant or recently pregnant women!!)
For men, an ideal waist size is 35 inches, and dangers increase once you hit 40 inches.

Just thought I'd share this info as a way contribute and hope everyone is doing GREEEAAAATT!

1 comment:

Ma and pa said...

Thanks Megan, this is great information. I doubt i will ever have to worry about not having enough body fat!! I am looking to buy a treadmill, if you know of anyone of your friends or family that might have one.
Mom