Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Ground Pork Burritos

Okay, so mostly we've posted sweets, it's about time for a dinner idea from us. This is adapted from a Rachel Ray recipe. We make them all the time and they are really good. I know this because there are never leftovers. Or at least I don't get them because Kiara snatches them up for her lunch at school.

1 lb ground pork
chopped onion (about 1 C)
1 chopped red bell pepper
2-4 cloves garlic, minced
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 jar green salsa (tomatilla salsa I believe, and I think it's 12 or 14 oz)
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped (about 1/4 C)
shredded Monterrey jack cheese (or your favorite cheese)
flour tortillas

Brown the pork and drain. Add onion, bell pepper and garlic. Add salt and pepper. (season to taste) Saute until veggies are soft. Add beans and salsa. If its really thick, you can add a little water. Simmer for about five minutes and add cilantro.

Warm tortillas so they are pliable (soft). Place 1/4- 1/2 C meat mixture on a tortilla and sprinkle on some cheese. Wrap up and place on cookie sheet. Repeat until mixture is gone. Place under the broiler and heat until golden brown. Enjoy!

*You can substitute ground turkey for the pork if you want. But you may need to put a little oil down when you brown it so it doesn't stick to the pan. Of course you can also change the red pepper to green or another color, but I think the red tastes better and looks better too. But I refuse to pay over a dollar for them - I know I'm a cheepskate when it comes to groceries!

I also double this recipe often, and freeze them and eat later. I would freeze them on a cookie sheet and then when solid put them in a baggie. I love meals you can do that to. I did that ALOT when I was 8-9 months preggo, so I'd have lots of meals for those days after sleepless nights which were sure to come.

No comments: